An old sketch of King Street
A colourised photograph of Nos. 1-5 King Street in 1902. The houses were built in c. 1665 shortly after King Street
was laid out. The first two houses on the left (Nos. 1 and 2)
were destroyed by a German bomb on 11th April 1941, but
the other three remain. These surviving buildings
are now occupied by the famous Llandoger Trow pub. The Llandoger
originally only occupied No. 5 King Street, but in 1962 the pub and the other two surviving houses were bought by Berni
Inns, who converted them into a bar and restaurant.
The Llandoger was given its unusual name by one Captain Hawkins
who sailed a 'trow' - a flat-bottomed barge or two-masted vessel - between South Wales
and Bristol before retiring to run the
pub. Llandogo is a fishing village on the River Wye in Wales and
may have been where Hawkins originally came from.