Christ Church with St Ewen, Bristol. The present building dates from the 18th century when
the old Christ Church, which had existed on the site for hundreds of years, was pulled down
after it became unsafe. The new church was designed by local architect WILLIAM PATY and
was completed in 1790. PATY also created the church's magnificent classical interior. The 12th
century church of St Ewen once stood across Broad Street from Christ Church, but the rebuilding
of Christ Church resulted in its closure and in 1787 an Act of Parliament was passed for its
demolition. As a result the parish of St Ewen was united with Christ Church, and the new
church thus became known as Christ Church with St Ewen. St Ewen itself was eventually
demolished in 1820 and replaced by what is now known as the Old Council House.