Broadmead 1889
This photograph shows flooding in Broadmead in March 1889 (the caption is incorrect). The rank of shops depicted is on the north side
of the street, which included Nos. 18 and 22, both former premises of Richard Andrews. Although the photo was taken some 30 years after
Richard's death, the buildings had changed little in the intervening years and the street would have seemed very familiar to him. No. 18,
from which Richard ran his saddle-making business from c1813 until 1845, is immediately to the left of the large advertisement depicting a
bottle and in 1889 was occupied by Henry Barrington, a confectioner.  No. 22, which was Richard's premises from c1849 until his death in
1859, was a few doors to the right and in 1889 was part of Thomas Woods' Dining Rooms which occupied Nos. 21 & 22 Broadmead for many
years. Richard also occupied No. 57 Broadmead from 1845 until c1849; this was almost directly opposite No. 18 but was damaged in a fire
in September 1846 which may be the reason why Richard subsequently relocated. After Richard's death his son John took over the family
business at 22 Broadmead, eventually selling up to Morgan Lewis of Merchant Street in 1867. Thomas Woods subsequently occupied No. 22
and expanded into neighbouring No. 21 a few years later. The ornate "Bristol Byzantine" style building to the left of No. 18 was in 1889 the
New Star Music Hall, but was previously the Horse & Jockey pub, and later became the Tivoli Palace. The unassuming building with the
arched doorway to the left of Samuel Jenkins' premises was the Broadmead Baptist Chapel. Two doors further to the left at No. 12 is
Hone & Co, seed merchants; Joseph Hone was listed in the 1820 Mathews Directory as a "furniture broker" of 11 Broadmead and a "seed
and corn factor" of 12 Broadmead, so the Hone family would have been neighbours of Richard and John Andrews from the 1820s through
to the 1860s, and Hone & Co were still listed at 12 Broadmead in the 1947 Kelly's Directory. This rank of shops largely survived the Blitz
but was subsequently demolished to make way for modern Broadmead. This photograph was one of the many images copied and
issued as postcards by
Bristol-based photographer Frederick Little in the early 1900s.